Brazilian waxing is better than other temporary alternatives like shaving, epilation or hair removal creams. We have 5 reasons why this is true.
- It is better for your skin’s health. It removes more hair that includes exfoliation. As the hair is removed, it takes with it the lifeless skin cells.
- It gives you smoother skin. When the hair is removed through waxing, it is removed all the way to the root. That type of exfoliation and dead skin cell removal will make your skin very smooth and soft too.
- It will last longer than other alternatives. Compared to shaving, hair removal creams or epilation, the hair will take longer to grow. Brazilian waxing removes the hair from the root. This will make you hair-free for a longer period.
- It will make your hair thinner. Since the hair is removed together with its roots, any hair growth will be weaker. That means the hair will be finer and even sparser!
- It will not irritate the skin. Finally, you will feel less irritation when you wax. At least, when you compare it with hair removal creams and epilation. With shaving, the irritation comes immediately after the hair grows.
So what happens during a Brazilian waxing session?
Before you go for your appointment, make sure your hair is short – like ¼ inch high. You should also make sure that you are clean.
The waxer usually has gloves on for hygienic purposes. They should also avoid double-dipping the wooden stick used to apply the wax. The application usually goes from the front towards the back. The waxer will usually ask for your help to stretch the skin.
Before the application, the waxer will apply some talcum powder on your skin. This will keep the hot wax from sticking to your skin so the removal will be focused on the hair. The wax should be applied in the same direction as the growth of your hair. A cloth strip will be placed on the wax. Once the wax is cool enough, it hardens and the strip is pulled off – pulling out the hair by the root. This will be repeated until all the areas are free from hair. Any hair that was not removed by the wax will be pulled by tweezers. Finally, lotion will be spread over the skin to help ease any discomfort.
Brazilian waxing can be painful and uncomfortable – especially for first-timers. But once you have gone through a couple of sessions, it gets better. To help with the pain, you can take some ibuprofen before your appointment. Most experts also say that it is best to have it done while you are in mid-cycle. That means when you are ovulating. Your pain tolerance will be higher at that time.
While it is possible for you to perform your own Brazilian waxing, it is still advised that you have a professional do it for you. This is especially true if it is your first time. The best waxers can work fast and that means less discomfort for you.