Let us admit it: we all have anti-aging issues. We all want to look young forever. Fortunately, there are tried and tested ways to help minimize the appearance of wrinkles.
It is not always about what you can do once the wrinkles appear. Now, we are fortunate to have discovered how to prevent or slow down the signs of aging. We used to focus on solving the problem. But we are now concentrating on how to prevent the problem from happening in the first place.
Do not get us wrong – everyone will age and look older. However, there are ways to make it happen so you will still retain that youthful glow. While there may be wrinkles in your future, there are several techniques that will help you minimize it. Of course, that takes time and constant care for it to happen. You cannot improve your skin overnight.
But before we go through the ways you can slow down aging, let us identify the factors that contribute to it.
Genetics. Some people are blessed to have great genes – that is true. However, this is only 20% to 30% of aging. Even if your parents look young for their age, you are not guaranteed to have the same look unless you take care of your skin.
Lifestyle choices. If you smoke, fail to take care of your skin, do not get enough sleep or eat unhealthy food – these can significantly make you look way beyond your age. If you fail to clean your makeup properly or practice the right cleansing, exfoliating and hydrating, that can expedite aging.
Environment. If you expose your skin to the harmful elements of the environment, that can also affect your skin. The rays of the sun, air pollution and even the harsh cold air of winter can make your skin look older than it really is.
Unless you start living a healthier lifestyle, all your anti-aging efforts will be for nothing. Your skin will age faster and there is nothing that you can do about it. Of course, you can put products on your face to rectify the situation. But the truth is, why should you let it come to that if you can start by changing the way you live right now.
Here are simple yet effective ways that you can prevent visible aging.
- Drink lots of water. If you can drink more than 8 glasses a day, that would even be better.
- Use sunscreen. The UV rays of the sun is the number one reason why some go through premature aging. Make sure your skin is protected whenever you step out.
- Sleep on your back. Unless you are medically required not to, sleeping on your back will help avoid creases from forming.
- Exercise. Experts believe this is a great way to keep the effects of gravity from making your skin sag as you age. Toning your muscles can help tighten your skin to look firmer and younger looking. Even your facial muscles can be exercised.
- Stay away from toxic substances. Smoking and the use of drugs can be harmful to your skin. Smoking, in particular, can make you look tired.
- Eat right. Concentrate on food that is high in antioxidants. Anything that has a high nutritional value should be good for the nourishment of your skin.
- Sleep more. Getting enough sleep will allow your body and skin to feel recharged. Around 7-9 hours of sleep should suffice.
While anti-aging products can help, your lifestyle choices are probably the cheapest and most effective way that you can slow down the visible signs of aging.