Tips to fight Glycation!
When we consume too many sugary foods, our body can react in a weird and unappealing way. The sugars can react with proteins and fats, producing harmful molecules called “advanced glycation end products ”. This process is called “glycation.” As a result, collagen and elastin in our bodies become discolored, weak, and less supple. This shows up on the skin’s surface as wrinkles and as a loss of radiance.
According to georgialouise.com, there are five ways to fight advanced glycation end products or “AGEs”:
1. Cut back on sugary foods and drinks. Having a sweet tooth is difficult; It’s easier so take baby steps like putting less sugar in your coffee or tea, switching to dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. Trust me, the wrinkles aren’t worth it!
2. Take a vitamin B supplement. Studies have found that vitamins B1 and B6 help inhibit the formation of AGEs.
3. Boost your antioxidant intake. Antioxidants that help protect cells from glycation. Specifically, blueberries, pomegranate, and white tea are super antioxidants. Getting a regular supply of these in your diet helps to save your skin from the effects of AGEs.
4. Always protect your skin. UV exposure increases the formation of AGEs. Always use sun protection on your skin. Remember that glycation affects all of your skin, not just your face, so protect hands, neck, arms, and legs, too. I also like the protection of SPF 30 or higher! Don’t forget to reapply.
Skincare makes a difference! “Now that glycation is widely recognized as a major cause of aging, lots of comprehensive anti-aging creams contain AGE fighters too. Superstar multitasker green tea has been proven to significantly interfere with the glycation process while stimulating collagen synthesis—so if you’re using a product containing green tea (or drinking it regularly), you’re already protecting your skin” (Long).
Some product suggestions:
● Olay Regenerist Regenerating
● Chantecaille Biodynamic Lifting Serum
● Chanel Ultra Correction Line Repair
● SkinCeuticals A.G.E. Eye Complex
● Sanitas Skincare Antioxidant Moisturizer
Long, April. “The Truth About Sugar and Aging.” ELLE, ELLE, 5 Oct. 2017,
Vassanelli, Georgia. “What Is Glycation (AGE’s) and 5 Tips to Fight It!” GEORGIA LOUISE, GEORGIA LOUISE, 8 Aug. 2017