There are many reasons why you need to have a proper skin care routine. After all, your skin is just the biggest organ in your body. It protects everything that is inside from bacteria, viruses, and infection. And it makes you look – put together. Imagine having to walk with all your innards spilling out? Not a pretty sight, right?
What you have to understand is that your skin, like the rest of your body, is constantly working hard to make sure you are okay. Your skin constantly grows – shedding dead skin cells and producing new ones. It needs a bit of help every now and then because our lifestyle can easily affect it. If you stay outdoors for a long time, the harsh elements and the harmful rays of the sun will damage your skin. Once your skin is unhealthy, its ability to protect your body will be compromised. If that is not enough reason to have a proper skin care routine, then what is?
Another reason why you need to take care of your skin is for appearance’s sake. If you fail to clean it properly or give it the nourishment it needs, you will end up with all sorts of problems. This includes acne, premature aging, rashes, sores, and hyperpigmentation. Believe it or not, unhealthy skin is not something that you would want to have.
The thing is, you should not just have a proper skin care routine. It is also something that you should do on a daily basis. As mentioned, your skin shed a lot of dead skin cells. You want to make sure that you remove this so new and healthier cells have a place to grow. Not only that, we all have different skin types. You need to be aware of how you take care of your skin because one routine does not fit all. And even the skin in your body is different depending on where it is. The skin on your face and body are different. This is why you cannot use the same soap for your face and body. You need to have different cleansers.
Then again, having beautiful skin does not happen overnight. And even if you have the best complexion, it will not always be that way. It will go away as you age. If you do not take care of it, the aging process will speed up.
The truth is, your genes also play a huge role in whether you will have a high or low maintenance skin. But even if you are blessed with a low-maintenance type of skin, that is not an excuse to not take care of it.
But what exactly can you do?
- Start by cleansing your skin. You need to remove the dead skin cells and all the gunk that accumulated on your skin (e.g. makeup, pollution, excess sebum, etc). You need to do this at least once a day. A hydrating cleanser should be a good choice.
- The next step is to apply toner on your skin. Now that your skin and pores are clean, the toner can help reduce its size.
- Exfoliation is your next step. This will remove the dead skin cells. This can clog your pores so it is advisable to remove it. After all, clogged pores can lead to acne.
- Moisturizing your skin is also part of a proper skin care routine. You need to replenish any lost moisture from your skin. This acts as a barrier that will help your skin produce elastin and collagen. These two are responsible for a firm and youthful looking skin.
- Finally, you need to protect your skin. The UV rays from the sun are powerful enough to penetrate from windows. So there is really no excuse not to put sunscreen. Make sure you put on a product that has at least SPF 15.